- 1 - 2 sheets of Filo Pastry
For the Filling :
- 1 red onion
- Bean sprouts
- Spring onion
- 1 Red pepper
- Bunch of Coriander
- Rapeseed Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice powder
For the Sauce :
- Sweet chilli sauce
For the Spring Rolls :
- 2 teaspoons of plain flour
- Filo pastry sheets
' Vegetable spring rolls are another side dish that is closely associated with Chinese cuisine. You can fill these rolls with pretty much any filling you like , Veg , Duck , Prawns .... But today we are going to make vegetable ones. '
And a nice sweet chilli and Mayo dip wont go a miss with these ...
For the Filling:
- Prep all of the veg so that it is ready to be stir fried , julienne the carrots and finely chop all of the other veg into separate containers. You can watch me do this on the Channel here if you need to.
- Get a wok or a frying pan on the stove , and add a good splash of rapeseed oil. Get this nice and hot.
- Start adding the veg , starting with the peppers then carrots, as these will take longest to cook.
- When all of the veg is in and cooking , add the five spice powder to the mix and mix together.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- When cooked , remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
For the Sauce :
- The sauce is very straight forward , depending on how strong you like it I use a 40 / 60 mix of mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce.
- Using a 40/60 ratio , mix the sweet chilli sauce and Mayonnaise together in a small bowl.
Getting the Spring Rolls Together :
- First of all you are going to need to make a glue from flour and water , just mix the water a bit at a time into the flour until you get a thick , smooth paste.
- Take two sheets of filo pastry , one on top of the other and cut out 6" x 6" squares. Make as many of these as you like.
- Cover the squares with some cling film so as not to let it dry up and crack.
- Take a sheet of pastry and place on a surface in front of you so that it looks like a diamond, fill the centre of the sheet with your veg mix and coriander.
- Half roll the pastry over the filling , then fold the ends in and continue rolling , adding a small bit of the flour glue to the last corner before rolling it together. The glue should hold the roll together.
- it is important to re cover these roll with cling film while you make the rest , as they will go dry and crack very fast.
- When all of your rolls are made, you can fry them in hot oil at about 180 c until they float and turn a lovely golden brown colour.
- Remove from the pan and drain on to some kitchen roll.
' Serve these with the sweet chilli dip , theperfect side dish for any Chinese meal ... '