Christmas Turkey Gravy
All of the gifts are open , the Christmas movie is on the television. It is time to get that Christmas lunch on the go.
After the vegetables are cooked and the Bird is in the oven you are ready to make that most important of all the festive food ... The Gravy.
What we want out of this gravy is a thick rich liquor , giving off flavours of Sage , Turkey and vegetables.
The secret to this gravy is a rich Vegetable & Turkey Stock.
- Left over vegetable trimmings, Carrots , Swede , Parsnips etc ....
- 1 chopped up leek
- 3 litres Water
- 4 Chicken Stock Cubes
- 1 tablespoon veg Bouillon.
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon of dry sage
- 90 g Fat or110 ml Turkey Fat
- 90 g Flour
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes
- Gravy Browning
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring 3 litres of water to a simmer. Grind the 4 chicken stock cubes into the water.
- Add the Veg Bouillon and Sage.
- Season with the salt and pepper, then get all of the vegetables into the water.
- Bring this stock to the boil , and then simmer for 2 -3 hours or until the volume is reduced to 2 litres.
- When the stock has been simmering for 2 - 3 hours it is time to get the turkey fat from the turkey baking tray into a cast iron casserole dish.
- Drain the Veg stock through a colander into a separate pan.
- Add the flour to the turkey fat and whisk to form a roux.
- Start to add the veg stock a part at a time until either all of the stock is used or the gravy is the correct consistency.
- Dissolve the beef stock cubes in a little hot water, then add this paste to the gravy.
- Mix well with a whisk.
- Add a splash of gravy browning to bring the gravy to a light brown colour.
- Let this simmer for 30 minutes.