Turkey and Leek Pie
This recipe is a great way to use up that left over Turkey. A delicious Turkey and Leek pie. Ideal for a Boxing Day Lunch.
This Festive Pie is also a great alternative for those guys who are not traditionalists and would prefer a more unconventional Christmas Lunch. It can be served with all of the Festive trimmings , Sprouts , Pigs 'in' Blankets and of course light crispy roast potatoes.
Christmas is a time for imagination , not just for the Children but for us adults as well. So lets put some imagination into this season , and create some great dishes.
- 400 - 500 g Diced Up Turkey
- 1 Leek (Washed & Sliced)
- 50 g Butter
- 25 g Plain flour
- 500 ml Full Fat Milk
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 teaspoon of Lazy Garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dried or chopped Sage
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- Shortcrust Pastry *
- Melt 25 g of butter into a deep pan , then add the flour and mix together to form a roux.
- Whisk in the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Mix in the chicken stock cube and the Dijon Mustard.
- When the sauce is smooth and hot add the Turkey Chunks and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In another pan add the rest of the butter and the Lazy Garlic and cook off the sliced leeks for about 10 minutes until tender and soft.
- Add the Sage to the leeks and mix in.
- Add the leek mix to the Sauce and turkey mixture.
- Roll out the pastry and mould into the bottom of an ovenproof pie dish.
- Roll out another sheet of pastry to cover the top.
- You can cut the top pastry sheet into thick strips if you want to make a lattice.
- When the mixture has cooled , poor into the pastry lined pie dish until full.
- Cover the pie with the top pastry or lattice strips.
- Crimp the top to the pie with your fingers and then brush the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven @ 180 c for 20 - 30 minutes , or until the pie is cooked through.