Doughnuts are a snack we can all associate with
To me they should be server hot and filled with custard or Jam.
These doughnut recipe is simple and delicious , and with a spooky Halloween twist they are filled with a thick toffee apple caramel
Tuck in '
For the Toffee Apple Filling :
- 440 ml Can of Apple cider
- 100 g White Sugar
- 100 g Brown Sugar
- 90 g Butter
- 100 ml Double Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon of salt
For the Doughnuts :
- 7 g Sachet of Dried Yeast
- 550 g Plain Flour
- 75 g of Caster Sugar
- 310 ml of Full fat Milk
- 80 g of Salted Butter (Soft )
- 500 - 1000 ml of Vegetable Oil
For the Sugar Coating :
- 75 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
For the Toffee Apple filling :
- In a saucepan , bring the 440 ml can of Apple cider to the boil, continue boiling the cider until it reduces to 1/4 of a cup and becomes a thick syrup. This should take about 20 minutes , but may be longer. Be careful not to burn the syrup.
- Once the cider is a thick syrup add the white and brown sugar to the pan, and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the butter and stir with a whisk continuously until the sugar is melted and the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add the Vanilla Extract and double cream, mixing in with the whisk.
- Set this sauce aside to cool.
For the Doughnuts :
- In a bowl put 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar and 1 tablespoon of the flour and mix in the dried yeast.
- Heat the milk so that it is just warm , then add the yeast mixture to the milk and mix in well with a fork. Set this aside for 10 minutes to allow it to 'wake up ' and react to the warm milk.
- Put the soft butter , the remaining sugar and flour into a large bowl and rub in the butter with your hands.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix to a rough dough with a wooden spoon.
- Continue mixing the dough with your hands then tip it out onto a floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes until it is smooth.
- Put the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a cloth and leave to prove for about 1 hr.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and knock it back, stretch and flatten the dough out.
- Using a 2 " Round Cutter , cut 12 rounds of dough out. Put the cut doughnuts onto a greased baking tray, about 6 on each tray with enough space to allow them to expand. Cover with a cloth and leave to prove again for 45 minutes.
Cooking & Making the Doughnuts :
- Heat the Olive Oil in a pan to 160 c (No Hotter )
- Using a slotted spoon put each doughnut into the oil (One at a time)
- The doughnuts will take 6 minutes each to cook at this temperature.
- Cook for 1 minute then with the 'slotted spoon turn the doughnut and cook on the other side for a further minute.
- Turn the doughnuts every minute until they are golden brown (6 minutes)
- remove the doughnuts and drain on kitchen roll.
- Cook each doughnut this way.
- Fill a piping bag with the cooled down Toffee Apple Sauce and pipe into the side of each doughnut until it starts to ooze out.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and roll the doughnuts in the sugar to coat them completely.