Chicken Tikka Masala
For The Masala Sauce:
- 1 tsp Ground Fenugreek
- 1 tsp Ground Corriander
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3 tsp Hot Curry powder
- 3 Chicken stock Cubes
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 140 g Tomato Paste
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes (Processed) 400 ml of Tomato Sauce
- 2 Brown Onions (Diced)
- 1 tsp of Garlic
- 150 ml Boiling Water
- 30 ml of Olive Oil
- 20 ml PlainYogurt **
For The Tikka Marinade:
- 100 g Plain Yogurt
- 15 ml lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of Garam masala
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- It is important to realise that this dish is in fact two separate dishes. The first is the Chicken Tikka, which is a dry marinaded Chicken and second is the Masala Sauce.
- Start this recipe by making your Chicken Tikka.
- You need to combine all of the Tikka Marinade ingredients into a large bowl, mix it all together to make a Tikka Paste.
- Dice up your chicken and get it all mixed into the marinade, so that it is fully coated.
- You should leave this in a covered container , in the fridge for an hour. The longer you leave it the better it will taste. I leave mine overnight.
- While your chicken is marinading in the fridge it is time to make the Masala Sauce, start by slow cooking your onions and garlic in a pan with 30 ml of olive oil or Ghee.
- The next thing that I did was to mix up the Tikka spice, that is the first 8 Masala Sauce ingredients all mixed together in a small bowl.
- Empty a tin of chopped tomatoes into your food processor and blitz to a sauce, you should end up with about 350 ml. You should top this up with 50 ml of water.
- When the onions have been cooking for a while and they are cooked to your liking , you can add the 50 g of soft brown sugar and mix it up with a wooden spoon.
- Let this cook for a few minutes then tip in the spice mix that you made up earlier and mix it up with your spoon.
- When the spices have been cooking for a few minutes and they smell aromatic add the tomato sauce and mix it up
- Then add the 150 ml of boiling water and the 140 g of tomato paste.
- Mix all of this up with your spoon and allow to cook on a low heat for about 10 minuets.
- ** You can add some plain yogurt to this if you like to get a more classic texture, but I loved mine as it was, think I added just 20 ml of yogurt but you can add up to 100 ml.**
- This sauce is now finished and can be set aside while you cook your chicken in the oven
- Get yourself 3 or 4 wooded skewers and soak them with cold water so that they do not burn in the oven.
- Skewer the marinaded chicken pieces one at a time so that you have about 6 to 8 per skewer.
- Rest the skewers across a deep oven dish.
- I used two medium chicken breasts and got 3 skewers, each with 8 pieces of chicken.
- Place the oven dish with the chicken skewers on in a preheated oven @180c and cook in the middle shelf for about 25 minutes, so that the chicken is fully cooked.
- Once this chicken is cooked it is going to smell fantastic, get it out of the oven and add the cooked chicken directly into the sauce and re-heat before serving with rice.