Artisan Sourdough Bread
- 150 ml of Warm water
- 300 g of Sourdough Starter
- 25 ml of Olive oil
- 500 g of Strong Bread Flour
- 10 g of Salt
'When it comes to Artisan baking this sourdough loaf is the best. A simple recipe that you build from the ground up.
Start off by making your own wild yeast in the form of a Sourdough Starter ,then using just 4 other ingredients you can bake the perfect sourdough bread with that traditional texture and taste that only comes from a homemade sourdough loaf.
You can use this recipe to make sourdough buns as well '
- Combine the flour and the Salt into a large mixing bowl with a fork.
- You need to measure out 300 ml of your Sourdough Starter. The starter needs to be very active, so you should probably feed it about 4 hours before hand.If you want the method for making a starter you can find it here.
- Warm up 150 ml of water in a microwave.
- Add the Starter and the olive oil into the flour and combine with a fork, then add the warm water.
- Get your hands in and start to combine the mixture into a dough.
- Tip it out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes so that it becomes elastic and stretchy. It should be smooth and spongy to the touch.
- Lightly oil the mixing bowl and place the dough ball inside to prove for about 3hrs. cover and leave in a warm place.
- When the dough has started to double up and has a smooth surface it is time to put it into the Dutch Oven.
- You will need to line the Dutch Oven with silicon paper or something similar so that the dough does not stick to the bottom.
- Put the dough on the silicon paper and place it inside the Dutch Oven to continue proving. Cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place for up to 12 hrs (you can leave it overnight)
- When the dough has doubled in size and has a smooth surface you can score it with a sharp knife, put the lid on the Dutch Oven then bake in a preheated oven at 190 c for 30 minutes.
- After this time remove the Dutch Oven and take off the lid. The loaf should now be fully risen and ready for dusting.
- Dust the loaf with some extra flour then leaving the lid off, put it back in the oven for a further 15 minutes to brown.
- When you remove the loaf from the oven turn it over and tap the bottom, it should sound hollow if it is fully cooked.
- Let it cool on a wire rack for 1 hr before slicing and eating.
' The perfect Artisan Sourdough Loaf ... '