Chunky Italian Minestrone
' Minestrone is a thick Italian soup , it can be vegetarian or not. It's origins are not 100% clear but it is thought to have originated in Italy so as not to waste left over veg , meat & pasta. So there is no set recipe for this soup so you can be a bit experimental with it. This is my version. '
- 100g Of pasta / Spaghetti or similar
- 3 Rashers of Bacon (smoked)
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 tsp Lazy garlic
- 1 tbs of tomato passata
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 150 - 200 ml of veg Stock
- olive oil
- Chop up all of the veg and the bacon into rough medium size chunks.
- Put a splash of olive oil into a large saucepan , and fry off the bacon for about 2 mins.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add the rest of the veg - Carrots , Potatoes , Celery and red peppers to the pan cover and continue cooking on a low / medium heat for a further 5 to 10 mins.
- Next you need to add your Passata , Chopped tomatoes & Veg stock. Mix together , cover and cook for a further 30 on a low heat.
- At this stage you need to break up your spaghetti into small pieces.
- After 30 mins , check that your veg is slightly soft and add your Pasta to the pan. Cook for another 5 - 10 mins or untill the pasta is soft.
Soup is good at any time of year , summer or winter. It is a great starter and equally as good as a light snack on a hot summers day.
Soup is traditionally categorised into two types , clear and thick. The French are probably widely considered to be the soup masters and to be fair they do produce pretty spectacular soups.
Cream soups such as mushroom and vegetable can be thickened with cream or even a bechamel sauce , Bisques are made with pureed shell fish such as Lobster.
So what is the difference between a soup and a stew ? Not a lot to be honest. The main distinction is that a soup tends to have more liquid than a stew, but other than that there is little difference.
The word 'Soup' comes from the French word 'Soupe' There is evidence to suggest that soup my date as far back as 20,000 BC
Soup is an ideal dish for using up all that left over veg , in fact the Italians created Minestrone soup for this very reason. Minestrone soup is our featured soup on this page for a very good reason , it is delicious and simple to make. Full of vegetables , pasta & flavour.
Some of the soups you will find here are cream of... soups and are made by processing the veg and ingredients in a food processor.