The Sloppy Joe
The Sloppy Joe is an American recipe from the early 20th century. It is made up of ripped or ground meat , beef , pork or chicken.
Other ingredients are Onions , carrots , Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
You can also add Brown sugar and Vinegar.
A Sloppy Joe sandwich is often made in a burger bun or a Brioche roll. Served with coleslaw and Onion rings.
The Americans certainly know a thing or two about fast food , and this recipe is no exception.
- 400 g of Ripped Chicken
- 150 ml Ketchup
- 25 ml Cider Vinegar
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1/2 teaspoon of Chilli Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Soft Brown Sugar
- 25 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
' You are going to need to cook a whole chicken in the oven , about an hour @180 c . Let it cool down to room temperature before you rip it . '
- Dice up the Onion and the Carrots.
- Heat olive oil in a pan , then fry off the Onion and Carrots until soft.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the same pan , with a little more oil added , fry off the chicken for about 10 minutes , until the chicken starts to brown.
- Mix the Ketchup , Vinegar , Worcestershire sauce , Stock Cub , Chilli Flakes and Brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add the cooked Onions and Carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix in the Ketchup sauce and allow to simmer for a while.
- Season with Salt & Pepper to taste
- Serve in a Brioche Bun with Onion Rings and Sage Chips.
' This is great with coleslaw , Onion rings and chips... '