' Getting a joint of beef so that it melts in the mouth is what this recipe is all about.
First thing you are going to need is a nice cut of Topside or Roasting Beef. I have used 1.5 kg joint of Topside.'
You will also need 5 or 6 roughly chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions, some olive oil and salt & pepper to season
- It is important to get the joint to room temperature, you can do this by leaving the joint out for a few hours before cooking. Or you can rest the joint in some warm water for 20 minutes, if you do this you will have to make sure it is fully dry before you seal it.
- Get a griddle or frying pan on the stove, add about 50 ml of Olive Oil and season this with Salt & Pepper.
- When the pan is hot place the beef in the centre and allow to cook (Seal) for a few minutes turning the joint so that it is sealed on all sides. This should take 10 minutes or so....
- Heat the oven to 150 c.
- Add the carrots and onions to a baking tray.
- Rest the Beef on top of the vegetables then cover the tray with foil.
- Cook in the oven at 150 c ( 30 minutes for each 500 g ) plus 30 minutes. so for this 1.5 kg joint I am going to be cooking it for 2 hrs.
- When the beef is cooked remove it from the roasting tray , and rest it on a wire rack for up to 1 hr before serving.
- Save the carrots and the juice from the roasting tray - Use the Juice for your gravy and the carrots will be delicious and sweet to eat.
Serve with crispy roast potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings | you can find my recipe for Yorkshire Puddings & Roasties on YouTube www.youtube.com/c/cowbridgekitchen