- 300 g Flour
- 125 g Salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 200 g cooked pumpkin
- 100 ml of Buttermilk
- 150 g of Milk Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 175 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
For the Ginger Icing :
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- Juice of 1 Orange (40 ml Approx. )
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- Sift the flour , cocoa , baking powder , cinnamon and nutmeg into a mixing bowl.Mix together and set aside for later.
- Cook the pumpkin in a pan of water until soft, then puree in a food processor.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Mix the pumpkin , buttermilk , chocolate and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl.
- Put the butter (cubed) in to another bowl and whisk together with the caster and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the beaten eggs and continue to whisk.
- Add the butter and egg mixture to the bowl of flour and cocoa and slowly fold together, adding the pumpkin , chocolate and buttermilk mix gradually until all well combined.
- Grease a 12 x 25 cm loaf tin with some butter.
- Preheat your oven to 170 c.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin , about 1" from the top.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hr.
- After 25 minutes you can cover the tin with foil if you think it is browning to fast.
- check with a skewer or a temperature probe by skewering it into the centre of the loaf. If the probe comes out clean the loaf is done.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes , then turn it out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- While the cake is cooling Zest 1 orange, then squeeze the juice.
- Add the Ground Ginger to 200 g of icing sugar then mix together with the Orange Juice to form a thick topping.
- Spoon the Ginger icing over the loaf and sprinkle with the Orange Zest.