Pork and Leek Sausages
- 500 g Pork Sausage Meat
- 50 g finely sliced Leek
- 1 ft Collagen Sausage Skin's
- 500 g Pork Shoulder
- 2 teaspoons of Sage
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 25 g Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon (3.5 g) of Salt
- Pinch of Nutmeg (2 - 3 g)
The trick to making these sausages is to make and season your own pork sausage meat, then you have the beginnings of delicious sausages.
- Put your 450 g of Seasoned Sausage meat into a large bowl.
- Add the 50 g of finely sliced up Leaks to the meat and combine together with your hands.
- Set the mixture aside , while you set up your sausage machine.
- Following the manufacturers instructions , set the sausage machine up ready to fill the sausage skins.
- Roll as much of the collagen skin onto the filler nozzle as you can.
- Do not tie the end of the skin to allow for expansion.
- Fill the top of the machine with the meat mixture , and with the tool provided start to push the meat down into the hopper.
- Slowly start turning the handle filling the collagen skin with sausage meat.
- Remember not to overfill the skins , if anything under fill them. Leaving the skin slightly loose.
- When the length of collagen is full , remove it from the machine end.
- Each sausage should be about the length of your middle finger or 3 - 4 " long.
- Pinch the skin at 3 -4 inch lengths and twist the skin.
- do this for as many 3 -4 " sausages as you can get out of the skin.
- Cut each sausage with a knife , and make sure they are not over filled.
- Spread the meat in the skin with the palm of your hands so that the skin is fully loaded.
- Refrigerate the sausages for a few hours before cooking under the grill or in a hot griddle pan.