Onion Gravy (Sauce)
- 1 - 2 Brown Onions
- 2 tsp Soft Brown Sugar
- 40 g Salted Butter
- 15 ml Olive Oil
- 30 g Flour
- 600 ml Beef stock *
- 3 beef stock cubes *
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper *
If you want a classic sausage and mash then this simple onion gravy will add that finishing touch to a simple meal.
Rich caramelised onions in a beef stock, you can substitute 100 ml of stock for Red Wine if you like, this will add that extra level of flavour to your gravy.
- Peel and cut your onions into halfs, then slice them.
- Melt the butter and Oilslowly in a pan, when the butter is melted add the onions and cook on a very low heat for about 10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Keep an eye on the onions as you don't want them to burn. So keep stirring them with a wooden spoon.
- Make up 600 ml of beef stock using boiling water, 3 beef stock cubes and Black pepper
- Add the Soft Brown Sugar to the onions and mix it all up with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the onions to cook for another 5 minutes so that they almost start to caramelise.
- Add the flour to the pan and mix to form a roux.
- Using a wire whisk, add the beef stock to the pan and whisk it into the roux to form a gravy sauce.
- When this is fully mixed in you need to let this simmer for 10 - 15 minutes on a very low heat.
- The sauce will thicken up as it reduces.
- Remember to stir it with a fork or the whisk every few minutes.