Cream of Mushroom
' If you're a mushroom lover like me then this is the soup for you. The great think with this soup is you can get a slightly different flavour each time depending which mushrooms you use , and with over 20 species of mushroom currently cultivated there are many varieties to choose from .... '
- 400 g Mixed Mushrooms
- 50 g Salted Butter
- 1 Leek
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Pint of Chicken Stock or Broth
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 100 - 200 ml Single Cream
- 2 teaspoons of Thyme
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Peel and slice up the Leek in to rings , and dice up the onion
- Peel the Garlic and with a large knife , smash it up .
- Cut , Slice & Chop up your Mushrooms into rough pieces.
- In a Large pan , melt your butter then fry off the onion and leek until soft.
- Mix in the Mushrooms and cover. Cook on a medium heat until the mushrooms are soft and reduced by half.
- Add the Thyme to the chicken stock , then mix in the stock to the Mushrooms.
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- If you want a chunky mushroom soup then remove half the mixture and puree it in a food processor , If you want a completely smooth soup , then process all of it in the processor.
- When the soup is processed , return it to the pan and re-heat.
- Add your cream to the soup until it is at the consistency you want , 100 - 200 ml (You can add milk if you like )
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper .
' Serve with a crusty crouton and some fresh toast or Bread .... '