- 2 x 750 ml Bottles of Merlot (Red wine)
- 500 ml Water
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 200 g of Soft Brown Sugar
- 8 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Orange (Cut into Slices)
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 grated Nutmeg
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Bay Leaves
Glühwein or Mulled Wine
Is a traditional Austrian beverage , often enjoyed as part of a festive Austrian market. The alpine region of Austria is famous for its warming mulled wine , Made with Red wind , cinnamon , Orange and just the right mix of cloves & Sugar.
In this recipe, we are trying to re capture the traditional Alpine wine. To fill your Christmas with the warmth of a Festive Austrian market.
This recipe makes approx. 10 servings - but I guess that depends on the size of your festive glass ? The use of the Slow cooker to keep this Mulled Wine allows you to enjoy the evening while the Glühwein stays warm , ready to serve with a slice of orange.
- Get your slow cooker on the High setting.
- Slice the Vanilla Pod length ways .
- Put the Lemon Juice , water , brown sugar , cloves , cinnamon , Oranges , Vanilla Pod , Nutmeg , Star Anise & Bay leaves into a large pan and bring to the Boil, then simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Empty the two bottles of Wine into the slow cooker.
- Empty the pan of boiling water and other ingredients into the slow cooker with the wine.
- Mix together and cover.
- Reduce the heat to low and warm for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat again to 'Warm' and keep until ready to drink
' Serve in a warm glass with a slice of Orange and a cinnamon stick .... '