Moroccan Lamb Skewers
- Marinade :
2 tsp of Coriander
1 tsp of lazy Garlic
1 tsp of Smoked Paprika
1 tsp of Cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
30 ml of Extra virgin Oil
10 ml of Lemon Juice
- For the Skewers :
300 g Lamb Leg
8 Cherry tomatoes
2 Red Onion
1 Green Pepper
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
It is all about the seasoning. This Moroccan Lamb recipe is traditionally made as a stew and called a Moroccan Lamb tagine.
In this Moroccan lamb recipe we are making lamb skewers that can be served on a BBQ or with a traditional Moroccan Mint and Vegetable Couscous.
These skewers are sometimes called Lamb koftas or Lamb Kebabs, but it all boils down to the same think, tender lamb meat skewered with cherry tomatoes, onions and green peppers then char grilled.
- To make these Moroccan Lamb Skewers you are going to need to make a Moroccan seasoning, this is listed in the first 8 ingredients of this recipe. Combine all of the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl.
- then add the wet ingredients, oil & lemon juice. Mix this together with a fork then set aside.
- As we are using leg steaks we need to cut these into cubes, you are going to need four or five cubes per skewer, so cut 20+ even pieces.
- You can use a Loin Fillet of Lamb if you want a better cut of meat.
- Mix the chunks of Lamb into the Marinade and coat them evenly. Cover and refrigerate for upto an hour.
- While the Lamb is in the fridge you can prep your veg.
- Peel your red onions (Small ones are best) then cut them into wedges. You will need at least 12 wedges.
- Cut and seed the Green Pepper, then cut this into small squares. Again you will need about 12.
- You can cut the cherry Tomatoes in half if you like, but I prefer to use them whole.
- Once the meat has been marinated for about an hour it is time to put the skewers together.
- I like to start with a tomato then lamb, onion and pepper. You can alternate this until you have about four or five pieces of lamb per skewer. (See picture.)
- When you have made all four skewers it is up to you how you want to cook them. You can cook them in a preheated oven at 180 c for about 20 minutes or you can grill them for 5 to 6 minutes either side so that the lamb is medium.
- I am going to use a griddle pan and a splash of olive oil, get the pan hot then chargrill the skewers for a few minutes on all sides so that the cherry tomatoes and onions get a nice colour.
- When you have cooked the skewers this way you can hold them in a preheated oven at 70 - 100 c while you make the Mint & Vegetable Couscous.
- Serve with a Yogurt and mint dip.