- 100g Of pasta / Spaghetti or similar
- 3 Rashers of Bacon (optional)
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 tsp Lazy garlic
- 50 ml of tomato passata
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 150 - 200 ml of veg Stock
- Olive oil
Chunky Italian Minestrone
' Minestrone is a thick Italian soup , it can be vegetarian or not. It's origins are not 100% clear but it is thought to have originated in Italy so as not to waste left over veg , meat & pasta. So there is no set recipe for Minestrone soup so you can be a bit experimental with it.
'This is my version. '
- Chop up all of the veg and the bacon into rough medium size chunks.
- Put a splash of olive oil into a large saucepan , and fry off the bacon for about 2 mins.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add the rest of the veg - Carrots , Potatoes , Celery and red peppers to the pan cover and continue cooking on a low / medium heat for a further 5 to 10 mins.
- Next you need to add your Passata , Chopped tomatoes & Veg stock. Mix together , cover and cook for a further 30 on a low heat.
- At this stage you need to break up your spaghetti into small pieces.
- After 30 mins , check that your veg is slightly soft and add your Pasta to the pan. Cook for another 5 - 10 mins or until the pasta is soft.
' serve this dish with fresh crusty baguette and Parmesan cheese ....... '