- 400 g Fine Minced Beef
- 2 brown Onions ( Diced )
- 3 Beef Stock Cubes
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon or Oregano
- 300 - 400 ml Stock
- 40 g Beef dripping (Lard)
- 1 tablespoon of Oil
- 60 g Plain Flour
- Gravy Browning
- 1 Slab of Puff Pastry
- Egg Wash
- Heat a large pan on the stove with the beef fat and oil. When the fat is hot fry off the onions for a few minutes until soft. Add the Oregano to the onions and leave on a low heat for five minutes.
- While the onions are cooking , make up 300 - 400 ml of beef stock using the stock cubes and black pepper.
- Add the minced beef to the pan of onions and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- At this stage you need to work on the texture of the meat so we need to get a potato masher and mash the mince in the pan as it cooks. This will make the meat tender and very fine.
- Once the meat is cooked cover it with the flour and combine it with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef stock to the pan , 300 ml will give you a very thick gravy , 400 ml will give you a runnier gravy. Of course you can add up to 600 ml of stock if you want to.
- Let the meat cook for 10 - 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the filling is cooling down you can roll out your puff pastry , one sheet to line the dish and another to make the lid.
- Before you line the pie dish , lightly grease it with a little oil. Fit the pastry into the dish.
- Add the cooled pie filling into the dish to fill it almost to the top , leaving it short of the top by a few millimetres.
- Top the dish with the pastry lid , sealing it around the edges by pressing it in with your fingers.
- Cut two slits 1/3 of the way into the pie from both ends.
- Egg wash the pie , being sure to cover all the edges.
- You should refrigerate the pie for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 c for 20 - 25 minutes , until the pie is golden brown and the pastry is risen.
A classic chip shop Minced Beef & Onion Pie -