The Meat Loaf
The Origins of the American Meat Loaf go back to the Great Depression , when it was a way of stretching the food Dollar .
Today , Meat Loaf is just a great way to combine rich herbs and flavours into a processed meat.
It is often served with a sauce (usually Tomato).
This Meat Loaf has a delicious Sticky Tomato marinade.
- 500 g Minced Beef
- 1 red Onion
- 50 g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 1 Egg
- 5 - 10 g Fresh Thyme
- 3 teaspoons Hot Horseradish
- 25 g Soft brown Sugar
- 50 ml Ketchup
- 50 ml Brown Sauce
- 10 ml Light Soy Sauce
- 10 ml Worcestershire Sauce
For the Sauce :
- Mix the Ketchup , Brown Sauce & Sugar in a pan.
- Bring to a simmer then add the Soy Sauce & Worcestershire Sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then set aside.
For the Loaf :
- Put the Thyme , Beef Stock cube , Red Onion into a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add The Minced Beef and combine well with your hands.
- Add the Breadcrumbs and combine again.
- Add the Horseradish & Beaten egg and mix together well for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer the loaf mix to a loaf tin , pressing into shape.
- Top with the Sauce we made earlier.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 c for 1hr or until the loaf is cooked.