For the meatballs :
- 350 g Minced Beef
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Clove or 1 teaspoon of Lazy Garlic
- Half a teaspoon of Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Tarragon
- Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Onion Granules
For the Sauce :
- 1 White onion
- 25 g Butter
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 1 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Passata
- 1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of plain flour
' What could me more iconic than Meatballs in tomato sauce, when thinking about Italian food ? Ok maybe Lasagne. '
' These meatballs are dead simple to make and for that matter so is the sauce , another example of what you can do with a little minced beef and some imagination... '
Method : For the Meatballs :
- Dice up your onion and add the garlic to it , mix together
- Put the Mince Beef in a bowl and with your hand mash it up until smooth.
- Season the mince with pepper , onion granules , tarragon and chilli powder
- Mix in with your hand.
- Add your onion to the meat and continue to mix with your hand.
- On a floured board , divide the mixture up into approx. 2 inch balls (You should get 18 small meatballs)
- Rest the meatballs in the fridge
For the Sauce :
- Dice up your onion , melt butter in a frying pan and fry off the onions for a few minutes.
- Grind up the stock cube into a small bowl , add the paprika , ketchup and Passata , add a splash of hot water and mix into a paste.
- Add the flour to the cooked onions and butter to form a paste , then add the chopped tomatoes and mix together well.
- Add the paste you made earlier to the sauce, and combine with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for a few minutes , until hot.
The Finishing Touches :
- In a separate pan , melt 25 g butter , then fry off the meatballs until brown all over .
- When the meatballs are cooked , add them to the pan with the tomato sauce and mix in well. Cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes .
' Serve on a bed of spaghetti or other pasta , with garlic bread and basil ... '