Ingredients : Topping
- 80 g of Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 60 g Butter (Melted)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Granules
- 250 g Dry Macaroni
- 20 g Butter
- 50 g Butter
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 750 ml Milk
- 175 g Cheddar Cheese (Strong)
- 175 g Other Cheese
- 150 g Smoked Streaky Bacon (Diced)
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 minutes , until just cooked. Drain into a colander and add the butter. Mix in with a fork then set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a cooking pot until it is golden brown. You don't need any oil as the bacon will produce it's own fat.
- Add the Butter to the pot then mix in the flour to form a Roux.
- Add the warm milk and whisk together with the roux to form a thick sauce.
- Add both of the cheeses to the sauce then remove from the heat. You do not need to melt the cheese at this stage.
- Now you can add your cooked macaroni to the sauce and mix together so that all of the pasta is covered.
- You can now empty the mixture into an oven dish , and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion granules to the breadcrumbs and mix in.
- Add the melted butter to the breadcrumbs and mix with a fork so that all of the breadcrumbs are coated. If you need to use more butter that is fine , as long as all of the breadcrumbs are covered.
- Tip the breadcrumbs over the Macaroni Cheese and spread evenly so as to cover the whole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 c for 25 - 30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown.
'Mac & Cheese - You can add any other cheese to this as long as it has a great flavour.... Experiment with it. '