For The Breadcrumbs
- 80 g of Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 60 g Butter (Melted)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Granules
For The Cheese Sauce
- 50 g Butter
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 750 ml Milk
- 175 g Cheddar Cheese (Strong)
- 175 g Other Cheese
- 150 g Smoked Streaky Bacon (Optional)
- 250 g Dry Macaroni or Other Pasta
- 20 g Butter
'This Mac & Cheese is a great way of using up that left over pasta and a delicious alternative to the standard pasta bake.
The great thing about this dish is that it can be Vegetarian or not , just leave the bacon out.
It can be made with Macaroni or you can use other dry pasta.
The versatility of this sauce means that you can experiment with different types of Cheese, so don't stick to plain old Cheddar.....'
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 minutes , until just cooked. Drain into a colander and add the butter. Mix in with a fork then set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a cooking pot until it is golden brown. You don't need any oil as the bacon will produce it's own fat.
- Add the Butter to the pot then mix in the flour to form a Roux.
- Add the warm milk and whisk together with the roux to form a thick sauce.
- Add all of the cheese to the sauce then remove from the heat. You do not need to melt the cheese at this stage.
- Now you can add your cooked macaroni or other dry pasta to the sauce and mix together so that all of the pasta is covered.
- You can now empty the mixture into an oven dish , and let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion granules to the breadcrumbs and mix in.
- Add the melted butter to the breadcrumbs and mix with a fork so that all of the breadcrumbs are coated. If you need to use more butter that is fine , as long as all of the breadcrumbs are covered.
- Tip the breadcrumbs over the Macaroni Cheese and spread evenly so as to cover the whole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 c for 25 - 30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown.
'Mac & Cheese - You can add any other cheese to this as long as it has a great flavour.... Experiment with it. '