VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 300 ml Full Fat Milk
- 284 ml Double cream
- 115 g Caster Sugar
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1 Vanilla Pod
Vanilla ice cream can go with anything, waffles or profiteroles. So being able to make you own homemade Ice Cream is a great idea.
In this ice cream recipe I have not used any special equipment except a freezer of course. No ice cream machine needed for this recipe.
- Bring the 300 ml of milk & Cream almost to the boil in a saucepan.
- Add Half The Sugar
- Strip the Vanilla pod of it's seeds and add to the milk & Cream, also throw in the pod skin.
- Separate the egg yolks and whisk together with the rest of the sugar until light and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix 2 ladle's of the milk into the e gg yolks to slacken.
- Return the milk to the heat and bring to a slow boil , add the egg mixture and whisk until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Allow to cool in a heat proof bowl , then cover with a cartouche and freeze for 1 hour.
- After an hour , remove from the freezer and churn the ice cream with a whisk for a few minutes. Replace the cartouche and refreeze for a further hour.
- Repeat this process 3 -4 times.
- Freeze overnight.