- 450 g Diced beef
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 green pepper / 1 red pepper
- 1 Brown Onion
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Crushed Garlic Clove
- 2 tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil / Pork lard
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Hot Chilli Powder
- 400 ml Beef stock
' Goulash has to be considered the national dish of Hungary , and when you taste this you will see why. Using only one main spice (Smoked Paprika) this goulash is packed with Vegetables , Beef and a ton of flavour ... '
' There is no set recipe for making goulash , so you will find lots of versions of this , but I think this is as close to authentic as you can get. Try it out and see what you think '
- Chop up the onions , carrots , tomatoes, peppers & potatoes into dices and set aside in individual containers.
- Place an oven prof casserole dish on the hob and add a the olive oil or Pork lard (if using)
- Add the Onions to the dish and cook off for a few minutes until soft.
- While the onions are cooking make up the Paprika / Chilli mix in a small pot.
- Add the diced beef to the onions and cook for about 10 minutes, until the beef has started to cook.
- While the beef is cooking make up 400 ml of beef stock.
- Add the garlic then remove dish from the heat while you mix in the Paprika / Chilli powder.
- After mixing in the paprika , return the dish to the heat and mix in the beef stock.
- Add the rest of the veg in any order you like , Carrots , Potatoes , Tomatoes , Peppers .
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the Tomato Paste, mix and cover the dish with it's lid.
- Cook the goulash at 180 c in the centre of the oven for 1 hr 30 mins.
'Serve this on a bed of rice or mash with sour cream and chive dip , and some toasted olive bread .... '