For the Pastry :
- Mix the flour and Ground Almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the butter a few cubes at a time and work it with your fingers until all of the butter is used and the mix resembles light breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the Sugar
- Add the Egg and mix in until a soft dough is formed.
- Get the dough shaped into a ball and wrap it in cling film.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge.
For the filling :
- Bring the milk to a slow boil in a saucepan.
- Mix the 7 egg yolks in a separate bowl with a whisk
- Add the Vanilla Essence and mix into the eggs.
- Add the sugar and beat the mixture until light and creamy.
- Pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisk to form small bubbles.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before using.
Getting the Tarts together :
- Roll out your pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a 4 1/2 inch fluted Cutter , cut out 12 discs.
- Using a standard size muffing tin , lightly grease each compartment.
- Shape a disc inside each muffing mould.
- Fill each pastry with the egg custard mix , almost to the top.
- Sprinkle each tart with some Ground Nutmeg before baking.
- Back in a preheated oven @180 c for 25 minutes or u ntil the pastry is lightly cooked and the Nutmeg is brown.
' If you want a deeper tart case use a 5" or 6" fluted Cutter....... '