Homemade Doner Kebab
- 500 g Minced Lamb
- 1 teaspoon of Lazy Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of mint
- 2 teaspoons of Oregano
- 2 teaspoons of Rosemary
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
The Doner Kebab was created over 40 years ago by Mahmut Aygun and has become an Iconic takeaway food. Served in a Pitta bread with salad and yogurt sauce it has become as well known in the UK as Fish 'n' Chips.
In this recipe I am going to show you how to recreate the Doner at home , with no special equipment other than a slow cooker.
This idea is often called a Fakeaway meal , indicating that it is not authentic.
We are going to process some lamb mince and other spices & ingredients into a Doner Kebab roll ready to slice up nice and thin and serve in a pitta with salad and yogurt sauce.
- Mix together the Garlic , Chilli , Mint , Oregano , Rosemary , Salt & Pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Break up and add the Minced Lamb.
- With your hands combine the meat and the ingredients well , mix and fold together for a good 5 minutes until the meat is smooth and completely mixed together with the other ingredients.
- You need to roll the meat into a rounder loaf.
- Put the lamb loaf into a slow cooker for 4 hours (On High ) or 6 hours (On Low)
- While the Lamb is cooking, prepare your salad (Onions , tomatoes , cucumbers and Salad leaves) Also make some yogurt & mint sauce.
- When the lamb is cooked , remove from the slow cooker and wrap in tin foil. Leave to stand for 10 - 30 minutes.
- While the meat is resting , prep your pitta bread (Warm under the grill).
- Pack the Pitta with salad
- With a sharp knife , thinly slice the kebab meat.
- Top with yogurt & mint or BBQ sauce.
'Serve with salad (Onions , cucumber , lettuce ) and yogurt , BBQ and/or Chilli Sauce . '