- 225 g of Plain Flour
- 75 g of salted Butter
- 25 ml of Rapeseed Oil
- 40 g of Soft Brown Sugar
- 30 ml of Milk
- 30 ml of Golden Syrup
- 1/2 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Try this recipe for homemade digestives , they are simple to make and very tasty. Digestive biscuits are perfect with a cup of afternoon tea or as a snack inbetween meals.
- I am using plain flour in this recipe but you can just as well use wholegrain flour. Combine the flour , Salt, Bicarb , Baking Powder and Brown sugar into a large mixing bowl. Then mix it all together with your fingers.
- Mix the 30 ml of Golden Syrup with 30 ml of Milk so that you get a kind of milky syrup mix.
- Get the soft butter cut into small pieces or cubes and add it to the flour and dry ingredients. Then using your fingers crumble it together to form a bread crumb type mixture. A bit like you do when you are making pastry.
- Now it is time to add the wet ingredients, so pour in the syrup / milk mixture and the Rapeseed oil. Then using a fork start to combine it. When the mixture starts to form a clumpy mix it is time to get your hands in and form it into a dough. This should take a a few minutes to form in to a smooth ball of biscuit dough.
- Set the mixture aside in a covered container for about 20 minutes.
- When the mixture has rested you will need to split it into 30 g balls. Each of these balls will make 1 biscuit. Flatten the ball out on a lightly floured surface with the palm of your hand so that it is about the depth of a 50p piece.
- Using a fish slice or flat spatula , loosen the flattened shape from the surface, then with a 2 and a half inch pastry cutter cut out the biscuit shape. Return the trimmings to the bowl.
- Using a fork or a make a pattern of holes in the biscuit, then place on a baking parchment ready for baking.
- Once you have a full tray of biscuits bake them in a preheated oven at 150 c for 17 minutes. I am using a fan assisted oven for this and you may have to try a slightly shorter time if your biscuits are too overcooked but only a minute , so try 15 minutes or 16 minutes.
- The biscuits will be a little soft when they first come out of the oven, but as they cool the will become crunchy.
Enjoy with a hot cup of fresh tea ...