- 250 ml of warm Milk
- 7g packet of dry yeast
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar
- 150 g Strong (Bread) Flour
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
' Fancy making your own Crumpets ? follow this recipe for homemade crumpets that taste delicious drenched in butter.Crumpets are great anytime of day but perfect for breakfast with a cheeky bit of Jam. '
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, Yeast, Caster Sugar,Bicarbonate of soda & Salt. Mix together well with a fork.
- Warm up the milk then add it to the bowl.
- Whisk it in using a fork until if forms a runny paste (The consistency of double cream)
- Cover with a cloth and leave to prove for around 45 minutes or until little bubbles form on the top.
- Add a small amount of oil to a flat frying pan or a bake stone and grease up a 9 inch egg ring.
- Get the heat on low under the pan or bake stone and let it heat up for a few minutes.
- You can cook as many crumpets at a time as you like but two is probably enough to start with.
- Put each egg ring on the bake stone or pan and add 50 ml or 1/3 fill the egg ring with crumpet batter.
- Let the crumpet cook for 5 minutes or until all of the bubbles have popped and the top of the crumpet is full of holes and the batter is mostly dry.
- Remove the egg ring and flip the crumpet over, continue cooking for a further minute or so that the top is a light brown.
- Re-grease the pan and the egg rings and repeat until all of the crumpets are cooked.
Serve these piping hot with lots of creamy butter or Jam.
You can let these cool and re toast them later.