- 1 Brown onion
- 2 Carrots.
- 25 g Peas
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 200 ml Hot water
- 1 teaspoon of veg bouillon
- Half a teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of flour
The origins of this dish are at best questionable , most probably English. It is a dish created by folks of limited income and means. The word ' Cottage' refers to the poor house and ' Pie' is generally a dish that uses up left over ingredients.
' So even though this dish is canonically a poor house meal , today cottage pie and for that matter Shepherds pie (Which is made with minced Lamb) is a delicious meal. Created for the poor but now eaten by the masses , cottage pie is an Iconic British meal. '
- Dice onion and carrots and set aside.
- Add the peas and carrots to a pan of boiling water and simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add 30 g butter to a large frying pan .
- Cook the onions in the butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the onions.
- Add the beef stock to the onions and flour , mix into a thick gravy .
- Once the stock is thickened , add the minced beef and mix in , cover and cook for 15 -20 mins.
- remove from the heat , and add the veg. Then cool down in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While the beef is cooling, make some mash potato.
- with the mash at room temperature , add the minced beef filling to an ovenproof dish , then top with the mash potato.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 - 200 c for 40 minutes, until the mash is golden brown.