- 400 g of Mince Meat
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Lazy Garlic
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin red Kidney Beans
- 1 Tsp Hot Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp smoked Paprika
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 1 Tsp of Veg Bouillon
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 3 Tbs Of Passata
- Flour / Olive oil / 25 g Butter
' Chilli con Carne , a spicy mince mixed with red kidney beans , onions & garlic in a tomato sauce.
But what makes a chilli special , in this recipe we mix in some paprika and chilli flakes to add that extra flavour to the dish.
There is no one exact recipe for this dish as it has changed over the years , people have added ingredients and taken out others, what I hope to have achieved with this recipe is to get as close as possible to what would have been an authentic Mexican recipe. '
- Dice up your Onion and mix it together with the garlic and Chilli flakes
- Fry off the diced Onions & Garlic in the butter in a medium saucepan for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl mix in the Hot chilli powder , Paprika , Stock cube & Veg Bouillon with a little hot water to make a paste.
- Run the Red kidney beans under cold water to rinse off.
- When the onions are soft add the flour to thicken the sauce.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes & the tomato passata and cook until hot.
- At this stage you can add in the minced beef and mix in well with a wooden spoon or folk .
- Mix in the chilli paste that you made up earlier.
- Cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes , until the meat is cooked.
- Drain off the Kidney beans and add them to the chilli.
- Cook for a further 20 min.
' Remember that the longer you leave this cook the better it will taste , so don't rush it ... let it simmer.... '
' Serve this with Sour cream & chives with rice '