Chilli con Carne
- 350 g of Mince Meat
- 1 large brown Onion
- 1 tsp Lazy Garlic
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tin red Kidney Beans
- 1 Tsp Hot Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp smoked Paprika
- 2 Beef Stock Cube
- 60 ml of Tomato Ketchup
- 20 ml Sweet chilli Sauce
- 20 g Flour
- 30 ml Olive oil
' Chilli con Carne , a spicy mince mixed with red kidney beans , onions & garlic in a tomato sauce. But what makes a chilli special , in this recipe we mix in some paprika and chilli sauce to add that extra flavour to the dish.
There is no exact recipe for Chilli con Carne as this recipe has changed over the years , people have added ingredients and taken out others, what I hope to have achieved with this recipe is to get as close as possible to what would have been an authentic Mexican recipe. '
You Method :
- Dice up your Onion and mix it together with the garlic.
- Fry off the diced Onions & Garlic in the olive oil in a medium saucepan for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl mix in the Hot chilli powder , Paprika , Stock cube
- Run the Red kidney beans under cold water to rinse off.
- When the onions are soft add the minced beef and mix it into the onions well, cook until brown.
- At this stage you can add the flour to thicken the sauce.
- The mince is cooked when it is a light brown colour.
- Tip in the chilli powder mix, made with paprika, chilli powder and beef stock cubes
- Mix with a wooden spoon and cook for a few minutes
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes to a food processor and blend for 30 seconds so that you get a thick tomato sauce.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and cook until hot.
- Mix in the sweet chilli sauce and ketchup.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes , until the meat is cooked.
- Drain off the Kidney beans and add them to the chilli.
- Cook for a further 10 min.
' Remember that the longer you leave this cook the better it will taste , so don't rush it ... let it simmer.... '
' Serve this with Sour cream & chives with rice '