HUNGARIAN CHICKEN PAPRIKASH
' Hungarian food is generally based on a thick broth or stew , flavoured with Paprika .Paprika is the national spice of Hungary , and can be Spice , plain or Smoked. If you are cooking any Hungarian dish it is advised to use authentic Hungarian paprika.
Chicken paprikash can be made with chicken leg or chicken breast , which is what we have used in this recipe.
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 300 ml Chicken Stock
- 250 ml Sour Cream
- 25 g Smoked Paprika
- 2 Onions
- 1 Pepper / Red / green or Yellow
- 25 g Butter
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- Slice the onion and pepper into strips
- In an oven proof casserole dish , melt the butter and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on both sides
- Remove the chicken and set aside in a bowl.
- Fry off the onions and pepper in the same casserole dish
- Cover the dish and allow to caramelise for about 10 minutes
- Remove the dish from the heat and mix in the paprika, stir for about 30 seconds then return to the heat.
- Add the chicken stock and the part cooked chicken breasts and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer , cover and allow to cook for 1 and a half hours.
- In a bowl mix the flour into the sour cream until there are no lumps
- Add a ladle of the chicken sauce from the casserole dish into the sour cream so that the temperature of the cream rises a little before adding the sour cream to the casserole dish.
- Mix the cream into the chicken and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
' Serve in a large bowl with some pasta or rice & sour cream and chives... Traditionally served with nokedli or csipetke ... '