Sweet 'n' Sour Crispy Chicken
- 1 - 2 Chicken Breast (20 balls approx.)
For the batter :
- 4 oz Plain flour
- 50 ml Olive oil
- 25 ml water
- 125 ml lager (beer)
For the Sauce :
- 4 tablespoons of pineapple juice (60 ml)
- 4 tablespoon white wine vinegar (60 ml)
- 40 g Soft brown Sugar
- 8 tablespoons of ketchup (120 ml )
- 4 tablespoon of light soy sauce (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Splash of water
' Crispy chicken balls in batterhave become associated with Chinese takeaway food. And lets be fair about it, when it comes to iconic Chinese grub , what could be better than these and some egg fried rice. ? ' For this recipe you are going to need a quality crispy batter mix , this is almost the key to this dish along with a delicious Sweet 'n' Sour sauce.
For the Batter:
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the oil and water.
- Mix this together with a fork for a few minutes.
- Add the larger (beer) and mix well with a whisk or fork until you get a nice batter.
For the Sauce :
- In a small pan , starting with the pineapple juice. Add together the Pineapple juice , Vinegar , Ketchup , Sugar and Soy Sauce.
- Mix together and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with some water to form a thin paste.
- When the ingredients are simmering , add the cornflour mix a little at a time mixing continually until the mixture is at the right consistency.
For the Chicken balls:
- Cut your chicken breasts into medium size cubes , you should get about 8 - 10 out of each breast.
- Put some cornflour into a container and add the diced chicken to it , cover the container with the lid and shake it until the chicken is fully coated in the cornflour.
- In a wok or a chip pan , make sure that you have enough vegetable oil to comfortably cover the chicken balls, so that they can float when cooked. Get this oil to around 180 c (No hotter).
- Take the diced chicken out of the cornflour and totally submerge and coat in your batter mix.
- Then with a spoon , one at a time drop the chicken into the oil. Leaving a few seconds between each one so the do not stick together.
- Let them fry for around 10 minutes or until the batter is a nice golden colour. The balls will float when the chicken inside is cooked. (Always check with a temperature probe , they should be above 63 c (75 c is good)
' Serve this with some egg fried rice and spring rolls... '