Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- 400 g chicken (Diced or Ripped)
- 200 g Diced Carrots
- 1/2 Large Leek (Sliced)
- 100 g peas
- 40 g Butter
- 40 g Plain Flour
- 1 tbs dry Thyme
- 2 Chicken Stock Cubes
- 1 Beef bStock Cube
- 500 ml of Stock
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- Shortcrust Pastry *
For The Pastry
- 400 g Plain flour
- 170 g Diced Butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 ml Cold Water or Milk
- Dice up the carrots and get the peas into a pan of boiling water , bring them to the boil and cook on a slow simmer for 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron pan then add the sliced leek and Thyme to this and cook for a few minutes until the leek is soft.
- While the Leek is cooking make up 500 ml of stock using the two chicken and one beef stock cube and disolving them in 500 ml of boiling water.
- Add the flour into the leeks and butter, then mix it together to form a roux.
- Whisk in the 500 ml of stock to the leeks so that a thick gravy forms.
- Mix the rippen chicken into the gravy then drain off your vegetables.
- When the veg is slightly cooled add it to the pie filling.
- To make the pastry you need to add the flour & Salt into a mixing bowl. Cube up the butter and add this to the flour.
- Working it with your fingers so that it forms a breadcrumb texture before you add the cold water or milk.
- Mix this with a fork until it is mostly combined, then get your hands in and work it together so that it forms a nice moist ball of pastry.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using it to make the pie base and the pie lid.
- Cut the pastry in half and roll out two sheets, one for the base and one for the lid.
- Line the bottom of a pie dish with the pastry base and then fill it with the mix.
- cover the pie with the rest of the pastry and decorate it with strips of pastry if you want to roll a few out.
- Beat 1 egg into a glass and brush the lid all over with a pastry brush, then put the pie in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and bake the pie for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
The perfect recipe for Chicken and Vegetable Pie.