Beef & Ale Pie
- 400 g Diced Beef
- 2 Sliced Onions
- 330 ml can of stout
- 300 ml Strong Beef Stock
- 40 g Butter
- 40 g Plain Flour
- 60 ml of Tomato Puree
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Bay Leafs
Diced Carrots & Sliced Mushrooms can also be added.
- 200 g Plain Flour
- 85 g Butter
- 50 ml Water
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
' Beef & Ale Pie or Steak & Ale Pie is traditional British pub grub at its best. This Steak and ale pie recipe comes to you straight from a small town is South Wales Called Cowbridge where local pubs and traditional food is part of our culture.
- Fry off the onions in the butter in a flame proof oven pot until they are soft.
- Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes until brown.
- Season with Black Pepper.
- Coat the beef with the Flour and mix it up with a wooden spoon.
- Make up 300 ml of stock using 3 beef stock cubes.
- Add the Ale or Stout and mix it up.
- Add the beef stock.
- Add the Tomato Puree and 2 Bay Leafs
- Cover and cook in the oven at 150 c for 1 hour.
- While the beef is cooking prep any veg you want to add to this pot, Carrots , Peas, Mushrooms.
- After 1 hour remove the pot from the oven and add the extra veg and mushrooms.
- Return to the oven for a further hour.
- If the sauce is to thin you can thicken it up a little with a Corn flour slurry mix, 1 tbs of Corn Flour mixed with 2 tbs of water.
For the Pastry :
- Combine the Flour and salt in a mixing bowl
- Add the cubed butter and combine with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and mix together with a fork until it starts to come together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball of pastry.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling.
Line the bottom of a pie dish with the pastry , then add the filling. Top with a pastry lid, egg wash and bake 200 c for 30 minutes.